It’s been shown that most of us would rather receive information than go find it. Internet users are no exception. Discussion list subscribers seem to prefer receiving an email than regularly visiting a Web site to search for new conversations or information. AND private email Discussion Lists far outnumber all social media network users such as Facebook and Twitter. WHY? – Because, unlike Facebook and Twitter, your list is truly private and secure.
Discussion lists can be used by everyone. They support the exchange of ideas and cooperation among people who can be:
- Young or old
- Savvy or not
- A dial-up user or broadband consumer.
- Mobile or Touch Screen
- Reading Online or reading offline
- Traveling or sitting at home
Discussion lists are regularly used to foster community-building efforts, share information within an organization and facilitate conversation with customers. They are an inexpensive yet priceless marketing tool. They are an excellent way of meeting goals because they easily handle:
- Everyday tasks
- Group participation
Discussion Lists can be:
- Straightforward, simple
- Complex running sophisticated applications
- Private with expiration dates on membership
- Administrated by one, many or no one.
- Moderated or open
- Public or not; options to set up as a private online community forum
- Searchable by archives using the subject, date or author
- Flexible, where the list administrator can allow users to set their own preferences
- Customized and branded using the API
- An easy way to integrate subscriber information with other platforms
What’s out there?
There’s free discussion list hosting using ad-supported platforms. However free. usually means you’ll be advertising for their vendors and partners. Running banner ads regardless of where they are placed on the web page or in the email you’re reading, distract from messages, are unprofessional and in most cases appear as if your group is recommending the advertiser. Free means you cannot customize the look of your forums, nor have total list control over your members, and there is virtually no support for substantial integration with other platforms. Plus in most cases, you are giving up your privacy.
Then there are paid hosting plans. Before deciding which to use, consider the features and benefits you need and will need for future growth. Consider all your requirements; do you need a branded discussion list, more than one list, several or one administrators, training for your staff, custom HTML skins, survey capabilities, searchable archives, moderated, secure from hackers, 24/7 support and total control of your members? If so, try a no cost no obligation evaluation list with Dundee Internet Services list hosting services, and start talking.